Your soil will love our compost, because McGill SoilBuilder is a premium product. It is ideal for use as a topdressing, soil amendment or mix ingredient. SoilBuilder compost rebuilds poor soil by increasing organic matter, replenishing the soil microbes responsible for nutrient uptake and improving water management.
McGill SoilBuilder is good for your soil and the planet
Manufactured from 100% recycled content, McGill SoilBuilder compost is a product you can feel good about. It makes lawns, turfgrass, gardens and ornamentals look great while helping the planet. But best of all, SoilBuilder compost is cost-effective and offers outstanding performance:
- Reduces irrigation requirements up to 50%
- Reduces stormwater runoff up to 50%
- Reduces pollutant loads in stormwater runoff
- Improves percolation for better drainage
- Holds more nutrients at the root zone
- Improves nutrient uptake
- Reduces compaction for better root development
McGill SoilBuilder is STA-certified under the U.S. Composting Council’s Seal of Testing Assurance program.
McGill SoilBuilder is manufactured from a wide variety of blended feedstocks that include things like woody materials, yard waste, agricultural by-products, food and food processing waste, and sludge generated during the treatment of drinking water (alum and ferric) and wastewater (biosolids).
This diversity results in a high-quality product rich in both macro and micro nutrients, giving plants a well-balanced diet.
McGill SoilBuilder compost is a truly versatile product designed to meet a range of needs:
- Establish and maintain lawn and turfgrass (seed and sod) with McGill SoilBuilder compost. For active playing surfaces, use McGill SportsTurf compost.
- Container mixes and nursery applications
- High-end agriculture, plasticulture
- Horse hay and pasture
- Manufactured topsoil
- Landscaping, gardening
- Stormwater management, and sediment/erosion control
- Riparian buffers
- Biofiltration and bioremediation
McGill SoilBuilder compost is easy to spread, mix and use. The general rule of thumb is 1/4 to 1/2 inch if applying to the top of the soil. If working into the soil, add 1 to 2 inches for every 4-8 inches of soil depth. Recommended maximums are 30% to 50% compost in a soil blend, but no more than 30% compost in containers or raised beds.
- Topdressing — Core-aerate making 4 to 5 passes over the area to be top-dressed. Apply 1/4 to 1/2 inch of SoilBuilder using a standard spreader or apply by hand. Rake or back-drag into turf canopy and core holes.
- Soil amendment — Use 1-2 inches of compost for every 4-8 inches of desired incorporation depth.
- Blends and mixes — Compost is a concentrate — use up to 30% compost in the formulation.
- Topsoil — Blend 1 part compost with 2 parts native soil.